Thanks for checking out my travel blog! My husband Jade and I recently moved to the island of Grenada for medical school at St. George's University. We love nothing more than to travel and experience different things so check back often to see what new things the Kings are discovering and konquering!

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

0.003 Leagues Under the Sea



Now that classes are over I (Jade) can finally sit down and write a blog post. This will also officially be my first ever blog post.

This weekend I successfully completed the PADI Open Water SCUBA certification course. I can now freely dive to a depth of 130ft or 40m (for my international friends). I learned all about the effects of crazy amounts of pressure and nitrogen on the human body and how to cope with these effects whilst under the water. I am feeling pretty accomplished right now... some of the skills I had to learn and demonstrate were: to prove I’m physically fit enough (no easy task) by swimming  ¼ of a mile (a long way for me) and treading water for 10 minutes, taking off my mask under water and putting it back on, swimming with my mask off, and simulating out of air emergency situations. I feel a bit like the opposite of an astronaut. While astronauts and divers both have specialized equipment designed to allow a human to survive, astronauts work in a zero pressure environment while divers work in high pressure setting. I feel like I should be able to put extra letters or something after my name now. Jade F. King, Diver, BS. How does that sound? I feel like my undergraduate degree is constantly calling any other achievements into question, but such is life.

By now you are reading this hoping that I’m not just going to talk about going diving and all the cool things that I saw and that there will be pictures associated with this post. Patience, there will be pictures.

Getting certified for open water is a three day event consisting of five pool dives, emphasizing skills that I will have to master in the ocean, and four ocean dives where I will demonstrate those skills in a real setting. For each ocean dive we took about ten minutes to do skills and about forty minutes exploring the reef. Grenada has an extensive and beautiful reef that took some major damage during hurricane Ivan in 2004. After the hurricane, a very beautiful and unique area of the reef close to shore was destroyed in the area known as Dragon Bay. In order to not lose a good snorkel and dive spot and to encourage regrowth of the reef, a group of artists designed the first underwater sculpture park in the world. The sculptures found within the park are porous and are designed to encourage the coral to grow on them. So, all in all, pretty neat stuff.

Now on to the dives! For the first dive we went to Flamingo Bay and went to a depth of 40ft/12m. While down we saw lots of amazing fish and swam with a green sea turtle for a little while. We saw several scorpionfish, an eel, a peacock flounder, pufferfish, Spanish mackerel, and parrotfish.  On my second dive I saw a barracuda approximately 2-3 feet long and got to see the wrecked ship, Bassel. For the third dive we went to the underwater sculpture park and went to my maximum depth of 60ft.  The fourth dive was just off the coast not too far from where the cruise ships dock in St. George's. There was a nice reef there and the highlight was the largest red snapper that my instructor had ever seen. He estimated it to weigh between 150-200 lbs or up to around 90kgs for those more comfortable with metric. You know who you are...

Now on to the photos!  Many of the photos from the underwater sculpture park are rather ominous and eerie looking. 

                           Like I said, ominous....



This is "Christ of the Deep" and was created to for the 50th anniversary of  the wreck Bianca C



    You know, just a huge caribbean lobster...


















This little guy had so much character. Funny little fish.


This one is called "Un-still Life" There was a tube fan in the bowl.


















If you look hard you can see the sculpture of people holding hands. "Vicissitudes" Did I say ominous?

Another view of "Vicissitudes"


You know...just hanging out on a park bench


A man working busily at his desk


Just a nice shot of the reef


One of the many eels I saw


Lambie or Conch still in the shell. It was so hard to spot from above.


One of the most beautiful fish I have seen.


Well this concludes our journey through the seas, please remember to hold all hand rails as you exit the vehicle. Please, no pushing or shoving as you leave. If you enjoyed your trip you may tip the captain. 






6 comments:

  1. WOW. Very cool pictures. Sounds like quite the experience. Glad you had such a great time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly I'm jealous of all your underwater adventures, Jade. I love all the photos of creepy people of the deep blue. I can't wait to see you and Natalie over Christmas Break. Yay for mainland visits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jade, Its an awesome world down there isn't it. Glad to see you are enjoying life while you are young enough to. Be careful. Come see miss Susan sometime when your back home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool Jade!!!! I'm still scared to try it though!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic!!!! It makes me want to go scuba right now!!!

    ReplyDelete